Spain managed to finally the organization of the 2014 World cup to a rival to the likes of Italy, adverse to the project stage of the Spanish Federation of Basketball (FEB) in the second and final round of voting of the members of the Central Committee of the FIBA. The proposal China has not passed the first round of votes. The award of the Mundobasket 2014 was finally the vote of eighteen members of the Central Committee, and the presidents of the federations of Spain and China, José Luis Sáez, and Yu Zaiqing, were left out of voting by a common agreement of fair play since Italy does not have any representative within the ‘Board’.
Spain had to endure a wait of agonizing until China fell to the trio of applicants and, subsequently, until the conclusion of the second round with the win over the candidacy of Italian. The Mundobasket 2014 will be held in Spain, thanks to a difference of three votes -in the second round, he joined again the president of the China Federation since it was already out of contest-. The final score was eleven to eight, tight, but enough for Spain. The election occurred in the swiss city of Geneva by direct vote and secret ballot of the members of the Central Committee of the FIBA. Madrid, Bilbao, Granada, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, and Sevilla are the five cities that are already confirmed as hosts of the championship (August 30-September 14, 2014). However, it is not ruled out that they can join more sites, the case of Barcelona.
The organizational capacity of Spain, well established and fresh in the memory by the proximity of the European past 2007, as well as the fact of having the necessary infrastructure and to have found the perfect harmony between the requirements of FIBA and their translation in a project have been key to overcome the obstacle Italian. The members of the Central Committee also appreciated the “different way” of doing things in the asian country and other aspects, among them, the economic. Spain is the second budget in amount (341,5 million euros) and, in fact, in addition to providing a sponsor for the period 2010-2014 (requirement that should be met by all applicants) had already travelled to Geneva with the necessary guarantees to pay, before the 29th of may, five million euros (two of the Foundation FEB, one to the Joint Marketing Board of FIBA, and two that fall within the application).
“have done very well all. The feeling is that both were extremely powerful. In the end how difficult it was to say which was better, but Spain has been the best. Putting all aspects together, the candidacy of Spanish was the best,” said the secretary-general of the FIBA, the swiss Patrick Baumann. “There has been a time that has seen a Jan in the role that I was going to read-the Lithuanian Arvidas – Sabonis -who announced the winner of the vote along with the former basis of Serbian Aleksander Djordjevic-, but until he has read it whole I have not been clear to me that we had won,” said Jose Luis Saez, president of the Spanish Federation of Basketball (FEB). Saez pointed out that the three candidates were “very strong, but the Spanish is very geared towards the outside and is also very strong.”