Do you wish you could jump higher to score better on basketball? Do you want to do better on your spikes by jumping a little higher? Improving your vertical jump can be beneficial to do better in your chosen sport or activity. Below are some tips on how to jump higher and improve your jumping skills.
Find The Best Program That Fits Your Needs
Programs that specialize in improving your vertical jumps may differ depending on your needs or your weaknesses. To avoid problems later, make sure you choose something that fits your weight, your health, your energy level, and of course, your goals. Here a few tips that you can follow to train your jump to be better.
- Do your warm-ups. In any exercise, it is indeed very important to do warm-ups to avoid any injury. Especially that jumping exercises may be a little risky on the joints, warming up will help practice your muscles.
- Practice your jumping or training with simple exercises like jumping rope, sprinting, toe raises, or running up and down the stairs. Aside from contributing to your goals of improving your vertical jumps, they are also good cardiovascular exercises.
- Some exercises that promote improved vertical jumps can cause injury if not properly done. This includes plyometrics. One of the best tips on how to jump higher is to seek guidance from a qualified trainer. Of course, you cannot learn to jump higher if you have injuries.
- Make sure all the instructions are clear to you before performing the exercise. This will keep you from incorrect execution that might cause injuries.
- Do strength training before your jumping exercise. This will help you build strength on the muscles involved in your jumping exercises and help you do the training correctly.
- Strengthen not only your leg muscles but also the muscles on your lower back as jumping higher can also strain these muscles.
- Don’t forget to stretch your muscles before trying to make your jumping exercises. This will help make your muscles, tendons, and ligaments flexible and increase your jumping ability.
- Let your muscles rest. Do not forget to rest your muscles a couple of days a week after several days of stretching and training. This will help you keep up with your program.
- Assess your jumping skills before and after your training. This will help you determine if you are getting good results of your training and will help you identify which of the exercises improve your jumping skills the best.
- Make sure to have enough sleep and rest. This will help your muscles and your body recuperate and regain strength after your training.
- Complement your training with a good diet. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and fat-free meat will help you build muscle mass that is needed in your goal of improving your vertical jump.
Being competitive truly needs improvement in your skills as an athlete. These tips on how to jump higher may give you some ideas on improving your skill but remember that improving your vertical jump requires a complete training program and guidance from a qualified trainer.